Welcome to The Path of Water

This site is dedicated to exploring the Tao and Philosophical Taoism; and how it relates to everyday modern life in the 21st Century. It also includes posts relating to how I feel Taoism can provide insights for dealing with the problems of everyday living.

The process of writing out my thoughts helps me to explore what I believe and why, so these posts will probably develop over time. I hope that you'll find this site interesting and, for those of you new to the Tao and Taoism, I hope that it can provide you with a first step on the path to a rich spiritual life. If you want to post comments relating to a post or the site as a whole I'd be grateful as all feedback is helpful.

Enjoy your visit - In Tao - Woody



Who would follow the Way must go beyond words.
Who would know the world must go beyond names. *

No man ever steps in the same river twice,
for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. **


Tuesday 12 May 2009

Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi

Pre-children I spent a few years learning Yang long form Tai Chi. With greater commitments I found I couldn't find the time to continue this, but I've always missed the Qigong (Chi Kung) exercises which we did as a warm-up and which I always found particularly beneficial and enjoyable. Recently I came across Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi which is a recent (1982) fusion of some elements of Tai Chi and Qigong. It's designed to be something that most people should be able to do fairly easily and in a limited space, inside or outside. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that when doing it I get the same positive experience as with the Qigong I used to do.

It's not an exclusively Taoist thing, just a set of gentle exercises designed to promote energy, but I find doing it does lead to a meditative state. I thought it might be of interest to some of you. After searching I think the best introduction that I've found is on the website http://www.everyday-taichi.com/shibashi.html

No comments:

 
Religion